12X12 Chimney Balloon
This Chimney Balloon is an inflatable plug that prevents drafts from a chimney caused by a broken, warped, or missing flue dampers. A chimney damper is made of metal and frequently heated and cooled. The chimney damper can warp or break over time and use, and this causes a cold air draft to enter the home. The Chimney Balloon stops this air leakage by acting as a chimney plug to save money, heat, and comfort. This Chimney Balloon is designed to work on small circular, rectangular or square chimney flues.
How to size:
- With safety goggles on, look into your chimney with a flashlight and identify the damper (a metal flap that closes the chimney), if you have one. Also, identify the most narrow section of your chimney that you can touch with a 2 foot stick.
- Follow these guidelines when selecting an area to install a Chimney Balloon.
- Select an area that is not interfered with by the damper flap or any hardware.
- The area must have about 6″ in height of parallel or slightly sloping walls with significant texture for the balloon to grab and lodge in during inflation.
- Just above the damper, or in the bottom of the smoke shelf, is often an ideal location to install a Chimney Balloon.
- If your installation point cannot be easily touched by hand you will want to purchase an HEK Extender with your Chimney Balloon.
- Measure the length and depth of the location you choose to install a Chimney Balloon. It is possible to measure with a standard tape measure, but it is easier to measure with a foldable carpenters ruler.
- We recommend that you buy the Chimney Balloon that is exactly the same dimension of your install location. But, It is OK to buy a Chimney Balloon that is up to 6 inches larger in either dimension than your measured opening, since you will be inflating it into place. DO NOT buy a Chimney Balloon that is too small for the measured opening.