February is American Hearth Month. This started us thinking… a happy home = less stress = a happy heart. Furthermore, insulation truly is much like a figurative heart of a home.
A home’s insulation is essential for both energy efficiency and comfort. Properly installed insulation in walls, ceilings, and floors help keep your home cool during the summer and warm during winter.
People living in improperly insulated homes unnecessarily pay more in utility costs in the summer and winter. Furthermore, such poorly heated or cooled homes can be uncomfortable to live in. Mom may be toasty and comfortable in the bedroom while dad is freezing in the den. By proper insulating your home you can save money on monthly utility bills and live more comfortable while saving, too.
According to the EPA, “homeowners can reduce their heating and cooling costs by around 20 percent if they air seal their homes and insulate them properly.” This means that more efficient home insulation pays for itself in as little as a few years, and all of the savings after that is money in your wallet.
As a homeowner, even more important than saving money, is ensuring that your family is comfortable and safe during weather and temperature swings and spikes.
If you’re in need of insulation contact a local professional. If you’re a DIY’er, keep in mind some basic safety tips.
- Always practice use of wearing protective gear and clothing like a hard hat and safety glasses.
- Use a dust mask to prevent you from inhaling airborne particles.
- It is an excellent idea to wear long sleeve shirts, pants and gloves to protect your skin from direct exposure to particles.
- Avoid placing insulation near heat producing devices such as light fixtures, furnaces and also avoid placing over attic vents.
- When done, be sure to wash your hands after handling insulation and separately remove your clothes from other clothing.
If you are unsure about how to properly insulate your home, again, it is always best to contact a qualified insulation contractor.
Make sure that you locate a reputable contractor and don’t feel bad about shopping around. Obtain an estimate from at least two to three contractors. Feel welcome to research each company’s quality of work through references.
Make the most of your home. You deserve the ultimate in comfort.